Foreign qualifications and certificates – how can I get them recognised?!

How can you get your foreign school, vocational or university qualifications recognised in Hessen? Are there any information centres? You can receive lots of advice on how to get your foreign qualifications recognised, including online information, telephone consultations and personal advice at over 20 locations in Hessen.

Germany has so-called “regulated professions”, e.g. doctors, nursing staff, engineers and master craftsmen. In Germany, these professions may only be exercised by people with certain qualifications. If you would like to work in one of these professions in Germany, you’ll firstly have to get your professional qualifications recognised. You can check whether your qualifications meet the German standards. This is regulated by each sector’s chamber of industry and commerce, professional association and/or chamber of skilled crafts.

You have to pay a fee to get your qualifications recognised in Germany. The responsible authorities will tell you the exact costs. You’ll require the following documents for the recognition process:

  • Overview of training courses and any previous employment (written in German in tabular form)
  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Evidence to prove completion of training
  • Evidence of professional experience
  • Evidence of other formal qualifications (e.g. for professional further training)
  • A declaration to state you have not yet applied for an equivalence assessment
  • Evidence to prove the applicant intends to work in Germany (does not apply to citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland or persons residing in the EU/EEA/Switzerland)

This process usually takes three months.

If your qualifications are not recognised in Germany, you can attend further education and adaptation courses to reach the required level of equivalence.