More than 1.7 terabits of electronic data per second pass through the Frankfurt Internet hub DE-CIX at peak times. The world’s largest data exchange point handles about 90% of German and more than a third of European data traffic. With the DE-CIX, a very dense fibre-optic network, and a rapidly growing high-performance LTE wireless network, the whole Rhine-Main region is covered by a world-class electronic infrastructure.
Just under 9500 companies with more than 76,000 employees are active in the information and communications technology sector in Hessen.
More than half of all Hessian universities and higher education colleges offer courses related to IT and communications. High standards in technology and education are appreciated not only by leading representatives of the software industry like Software AG in Darmstadt or CSC in Wiesbaden, but equally by telecommunications providers such as T-Systems and Colt in Frankfurt as well as many foreign investors with an IT presence, like Accenture in Kronberg and Ernst & Young in Eschborn.
The state government has been strengthening Hessen’s excellent position as an ICT and broadband location for many years with Hessen-IT, a dedicated action programme. In 2011, the ‘House of IT’ was founded in Darmstadt – a unique public-private partnership which promises to provide many impulses for the development of innovative information and communications technologies in Europe.
“It is important for us to be located in Germany’s business centre and knowledge region No. 1, Frankfurt-Rhein-Main. Here, we are close to our customers in Germany and worldwide.”
Reinhard Clemens, CEO, T-Systems
FOREIGN ICT INVESTORS IN HESSEN
- USA Amazon, Cisco Systems, Computer Associates, Dell, IBM, Intel, Motorola, Oracle
- Indien Cognizant Technology, Infosys Technologies, Wipro Technologies
- Japan Atari, Fujitsu, Honda Research Institute, Nintendo, Sony
- Korea Daewoo Electronics Europe, Humax Digital, Hyundai IT Europe, INUS Technology, Samsung
- China Atop, Huawei Technologies, Inteco
- Frankreich Atos Worldline, Devoteam Group, Systar
- Großbritannien Colt, Logica, Telehouse